Build a long-term career with stable hours, opportunities for advancement and benefits in the in-demand shipping and logistics industry! Being so close to the Gulf of Mexico and key shipping ports, such as the Port of Galveston and Port Houston, freight brokers are always in demand!
The main objective of the freight broker course is to prepare the student for a career in the shipping industry by teaching skills on how to become a freight broker agent and start their own freight broker company. Students will prepare to get their broker license and start a successful freight brokerage by learning broker agreement, shipper load confirmation, company profile, carrier profile, carrier rate confirmation, load set up sheet, and shipper set up sheet. The student must pass the exam with 70% or more to earn the credential and receive a certificate.
The course is comprised of 3 segments:
- Job Readiness Training (live, virtual) + Customer Service Training (self-paced, virtual): 1 week, M-F, 9am-5pm
- Hard skills occupational training: 1 week, delivered virtually/online
- Digital Literacy Training: 2 weeks, delivered virtually/online
- Test: Freight Broker Authority License
It is the goal of SERJobs to remove barriers to your success; and thus, create a learning experience that is as accessible as possible. If you anticipate any issues related to the format, materials, or requirements of this course, please meet with your instructor outside of class so we can explore potential accommodations.
Why Should You Become a Freight Broker?
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics lists freight broker/agent as a “Bright Outlook” career area, with over 30% job growth expected in the next five years.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Transportation, over 11 billion tons of freight move by truck each year. This number will grow, so skilled brokers are needed to keep the industry moving.
Salaries + Career Pathways*
- Buyers and Purchasing Agents $55,080
- Cargo and Freight Agents $41,380
- Logisticians and Logistics Analysts $73,870
- Purchasing Managers $106,090
- Distribution Managers $85,400
- Transportation Planners $75,630
Kenneth enrolled in SERJobs Galveston’s Freight Broker training in 2022 and charted a new course for his career – he secured a job with our partners, APH Logistics, when he graduated! Taking the course and starting a new path helped Kenneth transition from his graveyard-shift job to one with stable income and regular business hours.
Learn the skills needed to be successful as a freight broker, including:
- Freight Broker/Agent job description
- Set up business
- Become a freight broker
- Members involved in a freight movement transaction & their role
- How to find shippers (customers)
- Contact shippers
- Shipper Cold Call Script
- Paperwork between broker & shipper
- Approve a shipper for business
- Calculate a freight shipment rate
- Locate trucks to move loads
- Ensure a truck is legal & reputable
- Calculate the rate for the truck
- Paperwork between broker & carrier
- Load Tracking
- Billing & Payment
- Step by step guide to freight movement
In order to complete the course, members must:
- Have a computer or tablet with microphone and camera
- Have access to reliable internet
- Possess basic computer skills
- Be able to pass a drug test
- Take a TABE pre-test Monday through Wednesday 1-2pm at SERJobs’ Workforce Opportunity Center
- Proficiently read and speak English
All applicants will be screened for eligibility prior to enrollment. Eligible participants must:
- Be 21 years of age or older
- Reside in Harris or Galveston County
- Have “low-to-moderate income” (documentation required)
- Have high school diploma or GED
- Have valid ID and Social Security card or birth certificate
- Have authorization to work in the U.S.
- Have a valid driver’s license and clean driving record
APPLY NOW FOR OUR free programs + SERVICES!
Ready to take the next steps toward your future?